On Sunday (4/8), Mohave County Sheriff’s Boating Safety Officers received a call about a boat with smoke
coming from the rear motor hatch in the north basin of Lake Havasu. Upon arrival, deputies observed the
boat, a 2010 Nordic, was being towed to the nearest launch ramp by a Good Samaritan. It was determined
that the boat suffered a mechanical failure which caused a fire inside of the motor hatch. The occupants,
who had all the proper safety equipment on board, were able to use their fire extinguishers to extinguish the
blaze. Due to the quick actions of the occupants and the fact that their fire extinguishers were in good
working order and easily accessible, the boat only suffered minor damage, and there were no injuries to any
of the occupants.
Remember to have all the proper safety equipment on your watercraft, it could save a life!
Please…Boat safe, boat smart, boat sober, and wear your life jacket!