Press Release: Dog Saved in Motorhome Fire


Posted on

At approximately 2:47 PM on Sunday February 15th of 2015, smoke coming from a motor home parked next to a house was reported by a passerby in the 2900 block of Jamaica. The first arriving fire company reported smoke coming from under the motor home and inside. Three engine companies, one truck company, and a Battalion Chief responded to the fire and were able to gain control in 10 minutes. The owner of the motor home was not at home at the time, but had left his dog there. The Firefighters first rescued the dog from heavy smoke conditions on the inside of the motor home and then quickly extinguished the fire. The origin of the fire was found to be in an exterior compartment. Firefighters were able to confine the fire to that area. No injuries were reported by the firefighters and the family pet was doing well. Crews remained on the scene an additional hour conducting salvage operations. Damages were confined to the garage area and were estimated at $2,000.00 to the $40,000 motor home. The cause of the fire was an electrical issue in the charging system.